Sunday 7 July 2013

Pho Bo Ga Mekong Vietnamese Restaurant @ Swanston Street, Melbourne

According to many, this place is like one of the best Vietnamese Restaurant in Melbourne CBD, always packed to the brim and full of buzz.
photo 1


photo 1

One thing I like about this place is that their Pho comes in two sizes, either small or large. This gives me a chance to enjoy other delicacies such as their spring rolls! I ordered their Vietnamese coffee. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between Vietnamese Coffee and Malaysian coffee, but I guess it doesn't matter as long as it tastes good!
photo 4
Vietnamese Style White Coffee (AUD 3.50)
Had their 'small' Pho with Beef and Chicken (AUD 8.90), large Pho costs around AUD 9.90. I honestly thought the taste was moderate, not the best. The broth did not have that much depth as I expect but the beef was so tender that I absolutely fell in love with it. If you look closely at the photo below, the beef is still red, dunk it deeper into the soup if you want yours more well cooked!
photo 1
Beef and Chicken Pho (AUD 8.90)
Unlike other Vietnamese Restaurants, the onions are not included in the broth but is served on the side. So, feel free to add in as much as you like! There's also a bottle of HoiSin Sauce provided... apparently you can add it into the broth, but I prefer mine clear! For those who have tried it, let me know how it taste like.
photo 3
Last but not least, the spring rolls... absolutely crispy.. but sadly, not that satisfying.. needed more OOPMH..
photo 5
Prawn and Chicken Spring Rolls (AUD 9.90 for eight pieces)
They serve all kinds of other drinks as well such as Three Colours and even Four Colours and the most interesting drink of all- 'soda egg yolk'. However, I didn't try them (I was saving room for dessert at Dessert Story which was just down the road from this place! Do stay tune for the dessert story post!).

Additional beef balls, fish balls and even beef juice can be ordered under side dishes for approximately AUD 3.00.

The only deco around the store are pictures of famous actors or actresses or politicians having bowls of Pho at this restaurant. At the front of the restaurant, it clearly says (see below).
photo 5

.. which leads me to the question.. how many bowls would you have? Oh, and they have a step by step guide on how to eat your Pho and what is Pho. An added bonus - they have a TV there for your viewing pleasure.
photo 3

Ratings: 
Ambience: 6/10
Price: 7/10
Service: 5/10
Food: 6/10
Overall ratings: 6.5/10

Verdict: Honestly, the taste of the Pho and spring rolls were moderate. However, give it a try and let me know what you think. The service was quite slow since the place was so crowded. It was like a Malaysian style Cafe/Kopitiam experience, nothing fancy. To me, it was slightly more expensive compared to the Pho at Boxhill or Richmond and even Springvale. Again, I reiterate, this is probably due to the fact that its located right along Swanston Street in Melbourne CBD.

Address: 241 Swanston St, Melbourne, VIC 3000

Contact Number: (03) 9663 3288

Opening Hours: All days for lunch and dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment